This qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of sake. You will explore the main types and styles of sake through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe sakes accurately, and make food and sake pairings.
No previous experience of sake tasting is necessary to register on this course.
- The basic principles of sake production
- The main types and styles of sake
- How to serve sake
- Factors affecting the flavour of sake
- How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
This course is for those starting a sake career or pursuing an interest in sake.
After successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
Why study with VSF?
- This course is taught by BSA Board Director Marie Cheong-Thong (VSF’s WSET Certified Educator for Sake). Track record for Level 1 Sake: 100% pass rate, with most students getting over 90% and many getting full marks!
- 8 premium sakes will be tasted as part of the course
- The course fee includes WSET’s official study materials, classroom tuition, examination and postage
- You’ll enjoy an exclusive discount on the sakes presented in class
- Exclusive mirin-making session – roll your sleeves up and make your own mirin (a sweet cooking condiment similar to sake) to take home!
- 1 x FREE ticket (worth up to £45) for VSF’s wine/spirits/sake tasting events
- Students passing the exam will receive a £15 voucher for purchasing sake and/or books at VSF Shop (www.vsf.wine/vsf-shop)
- Post-exam celebration with the Educator at a sake bar / restaurant and practise your sake tasting skills! (optional)
Where? Central London (Zone1/2)
Option 1: 29 September 2019 (Sun) 09:00 – 17:00
Option 2: 15 December 2019 (Sun) 09:00 – 17:00
(including an exam comprising 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes)
Optional: post-exam drinks & dinner at a saké bar / restaurant with our Educator
How much? £198.33+VAT (£181.67+VAT per person for two or more persons booking together)
Special Package: “From Zero to Hero” (WSET Levels 1 + 3 Award in Sake): £813.33+VAT only (saves £80 (incl. VAT); original price: £880+VAT) for one person, or £771.67+VAT per person only for 2 or more persons booking together (saves £80 per person (incl. VAT); original price: £838.33+VAT per person). Please choose the date for your Level 1 course during registration. You may take Level 3 within 15 months (open-dated) after completion of your Level 1 course.
BSA Members enjoy a special 5% discount on WSET Level 1 Award in Sake, WSET Level 3 Award in Sake and the “From Zero to Hero” package. Please claim your promo code by sending an email to BSA’s Treasurer & Membership Secretary Brian Smith (email@example.com) and book on our website (www.vsf.wine/sake-courses) directly.
Sign up now, pay later? You may be eligible for PayPal Credit’s instalment plans. This service is only available in select countries (including the UK). Please visit your local PayPal website for specific details and application. Once approved, please choose PayPal as your payment method at check-out.