Yokoso – welcome! The BSA is a not-for-profit organisation (est. in 2006) that provides opportunities for people to taste a wide range of sake, and to meet brewers (Toji/杜氏) and others in the sake world by:
- promoting understanding and enjoyment of sake.
- promoting correct storage, serving and drinking of sake.
- widening the scope of sake-drinking by pairing it with non-Japanese food.
- strengthening and preserving the tradition of sake-making in Japan.
- acting as a conduit between Britain and Japan.
- supporting sake education leading to professional qualifications.
The BSA Team
Co-founder and President
Shirley is an award-winning filmmaker and food writer. She has lived in Japan for several years and founded the British Sake Association in 2006.
Alongside his role at the British Sake Association, Paul is also Group Commercial Director at Corney & Barrow Group.
Alongside his role at the British Sake Association, Philip is Japan’s first and only British toji (master brewer).
Marie is the Sake Knowledge and Education Director at the British Sake Association, and a certified sake and shochu educator with the WSET and JSS. She is also a Member of Circle of Wine Writers and Association of Wine Educators.
Treasurer and Memberships
Website and Social Media
Harriet is a freelance wine and sake consultant and publisher, and an International Sake Judge with the IWC.